Links and directions to free and library-bought sources of music (audio, scores, and reference works)
Last Updated: Sep 23, 2014
All in Reference, 1st floor
- Music Online
Combination of several online music audio databases and the Classical Scores Library. Listen to music and view scores as well. Includes the Classical Music Library, Jazz Music Library, Contemporary World Music, American Song, and Smithsonian Global Sound.
- Oxford Music Online
Oxford Music Online is the expansion of the database formerly known as Grove Music and provides encyclopedic coverage of music including definitions of music-related terms, in-depth articles, and extensive bibliographies.
1. Find CDs in the Library Catalog (for CDs in the library)
- Under Find Books (Library Catalog), and then Advanced Search
- Change Limit at Bottom of page: Type: CD Audio
- Search by Composer Last Name in author box
2. Find Recordings in Music Online (for online streaming audio)
- Look under Find, then Articles (Indexes/Databases)
- Select Music grouping
- Choose Music Online
3. WorldCat: If no recordings are available in any of these three, check for a CD in WorldCat that you can request through interlibrary loan. Use the Sound Recordings limit.
- International Music Score Library Project
Includes more than 72,000 public domain scores (and 1,000+ recordings) and 4,000+ composers, both famous and not-so-much.
- Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music, 1870-1885
From the Library of Congress: over 47,000 pieces of sheet music registered for copyright during the years 1870-1885. Popular songs, piano music, sacred and secular choral music, solo instrumental music, method books and instructional materials, and music for band and orchestra.
- Variations Prototype: Online Musical Scores
Demonstration project with online, public-domain scores for opera, orchestral, choral, song, chamber, and piano music. Online viewing works well, but there is no ability to print the full score.
- Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
Online collected works of Mozart. Personal use only permitted.
- Music Treasures Consortium (Manuscripts)
Search major collections of music manuscripts from the Library of Congress, the British Library, Harvard,
Juilliard, Morgan Library, and the New York Public Library.
- Other Public Domain Links
Help for creating formatted bibliographies and quick citations.