Freshman Convocation 2014
2014 Freshman Convocation
7:30pm, Monday, August 25, 2014
Brick Breeden Fieldhouse
Free and open to the public, doors open at 6:30pm
This is your opportunity to meet peers, connect with faculty and staff, and listen to the inspiring words of Shiza Shahid, the co-founder and CEO of the Malala Fund and right-hand woman to Malala, the Pakistani schoolgirl who was nearly killed by the Taliban for her desire to get an education.
For more information, see http://www.montana.edu/convocation/
Photo courtesy of the Malala Fund.
One Book - One Bozeman
One Book - One Bozeman is a community-wide read program designed to encourage engaged discussion and literacy through the reading of a common book. The Bozeman Public Library is partnering with Bozeman Schools and local businesses to bring a successful and comprehensive program to our town to promote community building and civic engagement.
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban written by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb has been selected by the Bozeman Public Library Foundation as the official book for the 2014 One Book – One Bozeman. The book, published last October by Little, Brown and Company, describes Malala's childhood education in the Swat Valley of Pakistan, her refusal to be silent when the Taliban took control and tried to end her education, and her emergence as a global symbol of peaceful protest and supporter of education. I Am Malala was selected as the recommended read for One Book – One Bozeman because it emphasizes the importance of education for all and introduces readers to a complex Pakistani culture that is very different from our own.
See the One Book - One Bozeman Web site for a calendar of events including book discussions, programs, movies and more!
2014 One Book - One Bozeman presents the following community events. All are free and open to MSU students and the public except where noted otherwise:
- August 26, 8:30am: Community Conversation with Shiza Shahid, Bozeman Public Library's Large Community Room
- September 3, 11:30am-12:30pm: Gallatin Valley Interfaith Panel Discussion, I Am Malala: Implications for Religion
- September 12, 12-1:30pm: Wonderlust Friday Forum, Bozeman Public Library's Large Community Room
- September 12, 1:00pm: Links to Literacy 1st Grade Book Giveaway, Bozeman School Foundation
- September 12, 2-4:00pm: 1st Grade Links to Literacy program, Bozeman Public Library Plaza
- September 29, 7pm: Women's Voting Rights, Bozeman Public Library's Large Community Room