See the related tutorials on the tabs at the top of this guide.
Dictionaries/Encyclopedias at MSU Library
The CRAAP Test is a list of questions to determine if the information you have is reliable. Please keep in mind that the followiing list is not static or complete. Different criteria will be more or less important depending upon your situation or need.
- When was the information published or posted?
- Has the information been revised or updated?
- Is the information current or out-of date for your topic?
- Are the links functional?
- Does the information relate to your topic or answer your question?
- Who is the intended audience?
- Is the information at an appropriate level (i.e. not too elementary or advanced for your needs)?
- Have you looked at a variety of sources before determining this is one you will use?
- Would you be comfortable using this source for a research paper?
- Who is the author/publisher/source/sponsor?
- Are the author's credentials or organizational affiliations given?
- What are the author's qualifications to write on the topic?
- Is there contact information, such as a publisher or e-mail address?
- Does the URL reveal anything about the author or source?
- Where does the information come from?
- Is the information supported by evidence?
- Has the information been reviewed or refereed?
- Can you verify any of the information in another source or from personal knowledge?
- Does the language or tone seem biased and free of emotion?
- Are there spelling, grammar, or other typographical errors?
- What is the purpose of the information? to inform? teach? sell? entertain? persuade?
- Do the authors/sponsors make their intentions or purpose clear?
- Is the information fact? opinion? propaganda?
- Does the point of view appear objective and impartial?
- Are there political, ideological, cultural, religious, institutional, or personal biases?
The CRAAP test is provided by the Meriam Library at California State University, Chico.
Articles (Indexes & Databases)
Other Books at MSU Library
This is a sampling of books in the MSU Library related to the antrhopology of gender. MSU librarians will assist you to find other titles related to your specific topics.
World Wide Web
Montana State University
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT 59717-3320
Office: Renne Library, Room 118